Words I say every week: I'm going to really focus on working out and eating healthy. Well in all honesty... Usually one of the two (if that) actually occurs. I know I know it really comes down to self discipline, but when your drowning in school work, it's hard to make those things your priority. This is something that I feel a lot of people can relate to. So, I have been on the hunt for Apps that can aid in the get fit process.
1) Map My Run: Pretty much love this app because I just have to go on a run and it does all the work telling me distance, calories, time, etc. It doesn't have to be a run either. It can be a walk a bike ride etc. You can even track elliptical and other gym equipment calories on it. What I like the most is that at the end of the week it sends you your weekly progress statements. This can either make you feel really good or make you feel like you need to put a little extra work in. Either way it helps to keep you motivated!
2. FIT Radio: I don't know about you but working out without something playing in my ear is my idea of a nightmare. It wigs me out. Some definite kudos to those who can and prefer to do it that way. Fit Radio gives you a free trial for two weeks, and it didn't even take that long until I was hooked. The jams constantly come and sync up with what activity or genre you're feeling that day! It brings variety and spunk back into your workout and it literally has been a game changer for my workouts.
3. Temple Fitness: This app is actually something really interesting that I stumbled upon. I always tried to use the apps where you tracked your food down to the calorie and usually got discouraged by how time consuming it was to find my exact food and usually forgot to do it anyways. This app measures food intake, fluid intake, and fitness activity. The beauty of it is that you don't have to know specifics for everything, just guestimates and then you select from a range of snack to large meal, half glass to large bottle of fluid, and quick to intense workout. The best part about this app is that it sends you reminders if you haven't logged in a while. Which is nice because sometimes I need that extra push to go workout or to drink water over pop.
4. Charity Miles: This app combines the idea of fitness and giving back. How you might ask? Well for every mile cycled, walked, or run company sponsors give back between 10 and 25 cents to a variety of charities. It might not seem like much but if you do a three mile walk daily for a month that is 23.25 dollars donated to charity and yearly that could be almost 280 dollars. As you get fit you are not only making a difference to yourself but to the world to. Talk about motivation.
5. Kitchen Stories: Personally I have never used this app, but being what the French call les incompetents (I really hope somebody just picked up on the Home Alone reference) when it comes to cooking, I am definitely going to try it out. This app has numerous recipes that not only have step by step pictures but also videos to help with the harder techniques. The recipes come with a degree of difficulty, which is helpful to a novice chef like myself, nutritional info, and a grocery list.
Unfortunately these apps won't do the work for you, but they will help you immensely on your fitness journey!